Writing Process

Writing Process

The number one thing that I need to do before writing is turn off any music/audiobook/podcast/etc. I can't concentrate on writing if there's music playing, especially if it's music with lyrics. White noise like fans is generally okay.

When it comes to the environment I like to write in, I prefer to be in a well-lit area, usually with natural lighting. This means that writing during the late afternoon is preferable. I think it's important to write in a neat area with few distractions, so I'll usually clean my desk off and organize it before I start writing. I prefer writing in my own room to writing in the library where there's a lot more open space and distractions.

If I am writing a response to a poem or another piece of writing, I'll read the poem out loud and write down anything that stands out to me in a notebook. Then I'll write my response immediately after I finish reading so the piece is still fresh in my mind.

 I've noticed that I prefer typing when it comes to writing scholarly assignments, such as papers or reading responses. However, if I have to write something emotional or artistic, such as a poem, I prefer handwriting it first. That way the ideas can flow naturally and I don't feel the need to hit a backspace key. I recently got an iPad that I can hand write on, and I use an app to turn those handwritten notes into text.

What Makes a Good Poem?

I think imagery is most important to making a good poem. Capturing the five senses, sight, smell, sound, touch, and taste, brings the reader into the world of the poem. If the poet can transport their reader to the world they are experiencing, then the reader is more likely to feel empathy for them. Causing a reader to understand a different point of view should be the number one goal when it comes to writing.

Repetition can be very helpful to present the main idea of a poem. If the poem is asking a question, then the repetition can reveal its answer, or vice versa. Repetition can make a poem more memorable because the reader can walk away from a poem and still remember the repeated line, such as the "I want" in "What Women Want."

I think if a poet is very skilled in rhythm and rhyme it can enhance a poem and make it stand out. The rhythm of a poem can help the poem flow more easily, especially if it is being read out loud. I think if rhyme isn't used well it can make a poem sound childish, which might be fine if that's the desired effect.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Realist Poem

Final Blog Post